Preventive, General, and Cosmetic Dentistry
Dr. Wietholder and the staff at All American Dental promote the prevention of dental disease. It is much better for our patients if we can help them prevent problems before they occur.
We do this in a number of ways:
- Regular dental cleanings (at least 2 per year) are a very important part of this prevention. Dental cleanings remove plaque and tartar from the teeth. This reduces the amount of bacteria in your mouth, reducing your risk for cavities and bone loss (periodontitis).
- At your cleaning visit, x-rays are also taken to check for cavities. Catching cavities early can prevent larger problems later.
- Your hygienist can also apply a fluoride varnish to your teeth. Fluoride helps to strengthen enamel making your teeth more resistant to cavities. It is like vitamins for your teeth.
Should you require dental treatment, don’t worry. At All American Dental, we have many years of experience in treating a wide variety of dental needs.
We fix smaller cavities with white “composite” fillings. These fillings bond to the teeth and blend in with the natural color of your teeth.
There are several advantages to using composites:
- The strength of the bond makes the tooth structure stronger.
- The composite material closely matches the original tooth structure to be aesthetically pleasing.
- Composite fillings can be repaired easily.
Should a cavity be too large for a regular filling, a crown may be recommended. A crown is sometimes referenced as a “cap”. It is made of porcelain or ceramic and designed to match the natural color of your teeth. A crown protects the tooth by more favorably distributing chewing forces which can crack or fracture teeth over time.
Sometimes a cavity can reach the nerve inside of the tooth. If this occurs, a root canal will be necessary. A root canal is when Dr. Wietholder will remove the infected pulp from inside the tooth, clean it out, and disinfect the canals. Once the area is ready, he will fill it with a rubber like material and top the tooth with a crown.
Also, if a tooth is missing, a bridge may be a great way to replace it by using the teeth on either side to support a fake tooth where the tooth is missing. We can provide all of these general dental services at All American Dental.
Veneers can be a great way to improve the appearance of your front teeth. Veneers require a small preparation of the enamel. A thin porcelain “veneer” with ideal color and shape can then be made and bonded to the teeth. This can quickly transform your smile into a more confident one!
Tooth-colored fillings are also used to transform smiles. Gone are the days of old, metal fillings. White fillings can also be used on front teeth to fill cavities, enhance small imperfections, and fix chipped areas.
Call All American Dental in Columbia, MO at 573-449-1918 to keep your smile healthy!